It’s been a while since any of us interns posted anything here, but we’re still around. At least for a couple of weeks. The reason we didn’t have anything to write on the blog is that we’ve mostly been working on client projects, work which we can’t publish in any way we want to.
However, the Wrist brace, which you might have read about before, is now ready. I fixed a few things in the drawings, and finished the braiding pattern.
It’s available for preorder in the Montie Gear webshop, so if you’re looking for a more stable shooting position, now is the time to order! The Wrist brace replaces the regular side brackets on the Montie Gear Y-Shot, and is attached in the same way, with the same screws. The first batch will come in black powder coat finish. Enjoy!
You might have read about the towel holder a while back. It is a smart design, as it is a very simple product that solves a problem in an elegant way. However, it is pretty big. This drives the production costs up, and might also be unwanted in a camping situation when you carry your own gear between camp sites.
So what we wanted to do was to slim it down as much as possible, even if that required removing some functionality.
The new design is about as slim as it gets. It has only one towel slot, and no slot for sponges. The slim shape makes it easy to room many towel holders in a small piece of sheet, which in it’s turn makes it cost effective in production. It also makes the holder easier to carry around on the outside of your pack, for when you need something to get dry while you’re walking. It comes with a carabiner, so you can attach it to just about anything. but you could also pull a cord or a strap straight through it.
We (the interns) went on a field trip this monday, to ADR Hydro-Cut. They do water jetting, and while we were there they cut out sheet metal parts according to our drawings.
The parts arrived yesterday, so we grinded the tangs of and threw them in the washer for a couple of hours to smoothen out some sharp edges, and then they were pretty much ready to go.
Spent a couple minutes putting it together, and it looks and feels great! I might make some minor adjustments to the drawings, adjusting the angle of the paracord braiding, and I also have to figure out how the braiding itself is done in the best possible way.
Apart from that though, they’ll be ready for anodizing/powdercoating. And with that, we’ll have a product!
So we’ve kept working on ammo dispensers for the slingshots. The magnets are working really well on all the concepts, and I’m confident that by the time we’re done we’re gonna have a couple of great products.
The big advantage with the leather concept is that it has great functionality, despite a really simple design. We put shock cord through the loops in the leather, which makes it very flexible. The number of ways to attach the dispenser to just about anything seems almost endless!
Another concept from the early idea generation process that we brought back to life is a really simple construction consisting of a piece of bent aluminum plate and a single magnet. The idea is that the container encloses the balls to protect them from being pushed off if the container bumps in to something. The magnet, which sits in the bottom slot, makes sure that new ammo is automaticly feeded out as a ball is removed.
As you can see this simple mock-up already works great, although we might still have a bit of work to do when it comes to the aestethics. More of that some other time!